Page 1 of 1

ApplePi-Baker v1.9.4 update for MacOS Sierra (beta 2)

ApplePi-Baker v1.9.4 update for MacOS Sierra (beta 2)

ApplePi-Baker has been updated again – this time fixing a small bug for macOS Sierra users (beta 2 tested).

The disk/SD card size was not displaying. This has been fixed in 1.9.4.

Please report any issues you might run into when running MacOS Sierra, at the original ApplePi-Baker article where you can also download the latest version.

Special thanks to Barry for reporting .

Donation options

Donations are very much appreciated, but not required. Donations will be used for web-hosting expenses, project hardware or a motivational boost (a drink or snack). Thank you very much for those have donated already! It's truly AwEsOmE to see that folks like our articles and small applications.

Comments

There are 60 comments. You can read them below.
You can post your own comments by using the form below, or reply to existing comments by using the "Reply" button.

• Aug 18, 2016 - 1:42 AM - Jon-Paul Taylor Comment Link

Thank you for Apple Pi!!! what a life saver. I mainly use Pi and i have a mac. Im not sure why it takes so long to write a card with DD command..this programs is awesome. Thank you.

Jon-Paul Taylor

• Aug 18, 2016 - 3:55 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Jon-Paul!

Thank you very much for the Thank-you note and compliment.
      ApplePi-Baker actually utilizes “dd” as well, I just optimized it for speed.
      I was just too lazy to keep typing and remembering the “dd” statement, so that’s why I created ApplePi-Baker.
      But I’m very glad to hear it’s working well for you as well. Enjoy!

• Aug 28, 2016 - 12:49 PM - Chris Comment Link

I have found that when a 32GB card is imaged once, the card can not be imaged again with the same image. I get the error that the image is 31.9GB and my card is only 31.1GB.

I have to assume that this has to do with multiple partitions hat are made with the image or something. I have tried MANY things to re-partition or re-format the SD card but it keeps showing up as 31.1GB.

Any thoughts?

Chris

• Aug 28, 2016 - 4:46 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

The best way to test would be:

– Make a backup from a given 32Gb SD card
      – Try to restore it to the exact same card you made the backup from

“dd” is reading every single byte, and should be able to write it exactly the same way to the card.
      If the card (after restore) isn’t working, then there is something fundamentally wrong with “dd”, which I highly doubt.
      However, if the card is working just fine, and no information was lost, then it’s a matter of calculating the number of used bytes versus the observed capacity of the SD Card. When ApplePi-Baker complains about the card size, you can choose to ignore it and write anyway.

It has to be the same card you’ve used to make a backup from …
      Even from the same manufacturer, 32 Gb is not always the same as 32 Gb.

• Sep 8, 2016 - 9:14 AM - Patrick Hulman Comment Link

Hey Hans,

Great little app you have here. Found a little bug (ok it’s just a typo) but your http://www.tweaking4all.com is http://www.tweaking4al.com at the top right corner. (version 1.9.4)

Patrick Hulman

• Sep 9, 2016 - 7:38 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Thanks Patrick!

Ouch that’s an embarrassing mistake – I’ve added it to the list for the next version

• Oct 7, 2016 - 1:13 PM - stibbons - Author: Comment Link

Just discovered ApplePi Baker! So much useful, using dd on macos is too error prone ! Thanks for this tool !

stibbons

• Oct 8, 2016 - 9:34 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Stibbons!

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a “thank you” – it’s very much appreciated!

• Oct 25, 2016 - 11:49 AM - Joseph Comment Link

I’ve been using your fantastic tool for quite some time. Since I’ve updated my Mac to MacOS Sierra I’ve had to update my ApplePI-Baker, unfortunately the latest version doesn’t work as smoothly as previous versions. I’ve found I cannot restore a backup from an external USB hard drive to an SD card, I first have to transfer the backup to my Mac’s internal hard drive before restoring the image to the SD card. Other than this it works as wonderfully as it has always.

Joseph

• Oct 27, 2016 - 9:30 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Thank you Joseph for reporting this issue.

Unfortunately, I’m in the middle of a move from Europe or the US, so I do not have my gear anywhere near me to test this.

I expect my stuff to arrive in about 2 weeks, in the meanwhile I’m living in an empty house on an air-mattress hahah

I have added it to the “To Do” list though

• Oct 28, 2016 - 9:20 AM Comment Link
    PingBack: buildwall.wordpress.com

[…] the extracted image to the SD card using Win32 Disk Imager on Windows or ApplePi-Bakeron […]

• Nov 17, 2016 - 4:42 AM - AudioBear Comment Link

On my Mac – macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555), ApplePi-Baker won’t restore images files, says ‘Waiting for Recipe (idle)…’ and stays there. It has worked before but not since upgrade to macOS.

Amy ideas?

AudioBear

• Nov 17, 2016 - 4:43 AM - AudioBear Comment Link

Forgot to say ApplePi-Baker 1.9.4

AudioBear

• Nov 17, 2016 - 8:10 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi AudioBear,

are you sure you’re running 1.9.4? This version was specifically released because of macOS Sierra.

Do you happen to be using any other tools that might access this SD card (ie. AntiVirus, or a tool that removes the hidden Apple files from drives)? Did you triple check (this is for normal SD cards) if the “read only” switch is set right?

• Nov 17, 2016 - 8:22 AM - AudioBear Comment Link

Yes, it is 1.9.4. I can write to the card and read from it. From the command line it has all the normal hidden files? Is there anything I should look for in the log?

AudioBear

• Nov 17, 2016 - 9:31 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

I’m not maintaining a log for ApplePi-Baker – I tried implementing that twice now, only to find out that the latest trick I used wouldn’t work in the next macOS release … still looking for a better way …

It’s not unheard of that the problem occurs when AppePi-Baker is trying to unmount the SD card (and it keeps waiting for that, but macOS is not releasing the SD card). There are several reasons why this can happen, and I assume that most involve some sorts of file access (read or write) by macOS itself (although this never happens to me) or applications that run in the background (ie.anti virus, clean up tools, etc).

Some users noticed that rebooting the Mac (as annoying as this might sound) seems to resolve the issue – pointing to something locking the SD card from being unmounted. A reboot would force that unmount.

• Nov 21, 2016 - 1:57 AM - AudiBear Comment Link

Hi Hans, sadly rebooting does not fix this, it is like it tries to write then just fails. I can read & write files to the micro SD card (in an SD holder) in the SD socket of the Mac, but not with ApplePi-Baker.

AudiBear

• Nov 21, 2016 - 8:37 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi AudiBear,

I’ll try to do some tests this upcoming week – it’s Thanksgivings this week, and I’ll be having plenty time then.

Just something to try when ApplePi-Baker fails: goto Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility and wipe the SD card (for example: Select Erase and make it a FAT disk/partition. Just curious if that works well, or not.

• Nov 22, 2016 - 1:10 AM - AudiBear Comment Link

Sorry Hans, Erase with Disk Utility is fine.

AudiBear

• Nov 22, 2016 - 7:49 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

So it worked after an erase?

• Nov 22, 2016 - 10:14 AM - AudioBear Comment Link

Sorry Hans, it did not work after an erase, but the erase did work from Disk Utility

AudioBear

• Nov 17, 2016 - 8:40 AM - Sarel Comment Link

Good day,

Absolutely love your App, but I have a problem in that fact that the app does not detect USB drives when inserted into the Macbook.  MacOS sees the drives and I can read and write to them, but the application does not detect the inserted drives.  I have formatted the USB drives FAT, but no luck.  Even when I refresh Pi-Crust I cannot see these drives.  I have tested this with several of my USB drives that I know work.  Any advise or pointers?  Thanks for a great app.

Sarel

• Nov 17, 2016 - 8:46 AM - Sarel Comment Link

Forgot to mention I am running v1.9.4.and MacOS Sierra 10.12.1

Sarel

• Nov 17, 2016 - 9:34 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this issue.

Try downloading 1.9.4 again, and let me know if it still occurs.
        In the meanwhile I will do some more experiments on my end as well …

• Nov 17, 2016 - 10:19 AM - Sarel Comment Link

Hi, Wow – thanks for quick reply.  I have rebooted several times and deleted the app and re-downloaded and re-installed as well.  The same problem manifests.  I have also tried different brands of USB keys as well, the problem persists across them all.  Any specific way I should format the USB drives in MacOS “correctly” to be seen by ApplePi-Baker?

Sarel

• Nov 17, 2016 - 10:32 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Sarel,

well, I’ll send you some Terminal commands, to test. This way I might be able to analyze what’s going on.

diskutil list

Which should produce something like this (I do not have a USB stick near me right now, but the stick should be listed as well):

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
             #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
             0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0
             1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
             2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 499.4 GB disk0s2
             3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
          /dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):
             #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
             0: Macintosh HD +499.1 GB disk1
                                           Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                           D86A929B-563F-494F-812D-8E93D0A89839
                                           Unencrypted

Now, pay attention to the lines that start with “/dev/disk”, we need those device names for the next commands. Ignore those that have “virtual” or “disk image” in the line. So in the example above we have:

/dev/disk0 and /dev/disk1, however the line with /dev/disk1 has the word “virtual” in it, so we only have /dev/disk0 left.

With the lines that are left, now do this:

diskutil info /dev/disk0

I’d need to see an example of the one for your USB disk (which is probably not /dev/disk0).

• Nov 18, 2016 - 3:28 AM - Sarel Comment Link

Subsequent ‘info’ command:

Device Identifier: disk4

Device Node: /dev/disk4

Whole: Yes

Part of Whole: disk4

Device / Media Name: Drive SM_USB20

Volume Name: Not applicable (no file system)

Mounted: Not applicable (no file system)

File System: None

Content (IOContent): GUID_partition_scheme

OS Can Be Installed: No

Media Type: Generic

Protocol: USB

SMART Status: Not Supported

Disk Size: 4.1 GB (4051697664 Bytes) (exactly 7913472 512-Byte-Units)

Device Block Size: 512 Bytes

Read-Only Media: No

Read-Only Volume: Not applicable (no file system)

Device Location: External

Removable Media: Fixed

Virtual: No

OS 9 Drivers: No

Low Level Format: Not supported

Sarel

• Nov 18, 2016 - 7:45 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

OK, I found why it’s not listed … this line is causing the issue:

Removable Media: Fixed

So the device is removable … but fixed …? Hahah.
            I will have to do some experiments here to see what happens on my macOS Sierra setup.
            I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible – thanks for posting the results!

• Nov 17, 2016 - 9:34 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

p.s. Thanks for the compliment

• Dec 3, 2016 - 3:47 PM - amurcia Comment Link

I’d like to check it.

amurcia

• Dec 22, 2016 - 5:56 PM - J J Comment Link

Yeah, it definitely doesn’t work on Sierra. 10.12.2

I tried 8 times with a new 32 gig flash card and it just got hung up on “Waiting for recipe”

So , I moved the file for pi baker 1.9.4 and the retropie disk image to a usb flash stick and transferred it to an older macbook running 10.9.5 and it ran flawlessly right away.

J J

• Dec 23, 2016 - 8:40 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi JJ,

sorry to hear you’re running into issues. I will try to make some time in the next days – since I cannot reproduce the issue on my Mac (running Sierra). I’ll upgrade to 10.12.2 today to see if I can get the same issue.

• Jan 30, 2017 - 12:08 PM - Michael Francis Thomas Comment Link

Hello,

Just wanted to say i was running into the same exact issue. The on a whim i unchecked the box that says “Auto EJECT after Successful Install” and it started writing the card…

Not sure if i got lucky or if this sis something to look into on your end, just wanted to help. Love your program…

Michael Francis Thomas

• Jan 30, 2017 - 12:45 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Thanks Michael!

It’s always good to get feedback like this.

I’m now curious how many users actually want to auto eject feature, otherwise I’ll just drop that functionality. You’re not the first one to report this issue.

As soon as I have one of my other projects done, I will have a look at APB again and see if I can fix this. I’m even considering skipping the use of “dd” by writing my own code for that, but that will take some more effort and I’d have to see that it is at least equally fast

• Feb 17, 2017 - 3:29 AM - moby Comment Link

Nope doesn’t work for me either, just freezes with ‘waiting for recipe’… 10.12.2 Sierra here.

moby

• Feb 17, 2017 - 8:19 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

I’ll have to go find some time to build a debug mechanism to see what is going on in these rare occasions, since I cannot reproduce the issue on either of my Mac’s. Did you reboot your Mac in between testing? (I know that sounds super lame, but some users reported this to actually make a difference)

• Jan 21, 2017 - 2:39 PM - Barry Comment Link

Hi Hans,

Still a Huge Fan of Apple PI Baker, with a small enhancement request.  It seems that SSH is disabled in the new releases of Raspian (Pixel).  Since I tend to create Headless versions of the Pi’s it gets to be a bit of a pain to remount the disk, and touch a file on the boot partition called SSH (see current release notes for raspian).   Could you possible provide a check box/radio button and do a touch /boot/SSH before doing the automatic unmount.  You might want to note the UI check box as make headless version rather than something like touch ssh or whatever to save changes when enough complaints about this add up on the Raspberry Pi site.  A link that describes the problem  solution:  https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=167799

Thanks as always for great software!

Barry

• Jan 23, 2017 - 11:04 AM - Barry Comment Link

Sorry, Slight error….  the file should be /boot/ssh (lowercase)   — old habits are hard to break :-)

Barry

• Jan 24, 2017 - 11:12 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Barry,

I’ve added this feature request to the “To Do” list – it will come with some extra work to find the most suitable solution, as this does cannot be applied to all IMG’s out there. As for touch and changing the SSH option, I’ll have to dig in and see if the partition can be accessed read/write by the Mac.

Thanks for the find on how to enable this, I’m just pasting it below for my own reference;

2016-11-25:
        * SSH disabled by default; can be enabled by creating a file with name "ssh" in boot partition
        * Prompt for password change at boot when SSH enabled with default password unchanged

• Feb 25, 2017 - 4:00 PM - Karl Jeffery Comment Link

Hi,

having got my first every raspberry Pi this week i have found your tool invaluable, great piece of software!

I have one small question though – I have made a backup of a 32gb card, can i restore that backup to a different 32GB card (same model/manufacturer) or can the restore only be done to the original card? The question has arisen for me due to the reply at the top of this thread…

“It has to be the same card you’ve used to make a backup from …

Even from the same manufacturer, 32 Gb is not always the same as 32 Gb.

Like you’ve seen, 32Gb can be 31.9 Gb or 31.1 Gb. Both will be marked as a 32Gb SD card.”

Karl Jeffery

• Feb 26, 2017 - 8:52 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Karl,

Technically, this should just work. However, manufacturers, even when using the same brand and model, have decided that 32Gb is not 32Gb.
      Alternatively, you can restore to a larger card.

I apologize for this inconvenience, unfortunately, I have very little influence on this …
      You could try to keep the last partition slightly smaller, so I does not hit the end of your SD card.
      Since “dd” is rather dumb, it would simply keep writing until it fails.
      Note that I have never tested this approach, it just occurred to me

• Mar 11, 2017 - 8:07 AM - jax Comment Link

Hi,

I was creating a backup with applepi baker when at around 80 percent It froze and now that sd card is not accessible anymore. Can’t even format it.

Any  suggestions?

jax

• Mar 11, 2017 - 3:38 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Jax,

since APB doesn’t write anything to the SD card during backup, I can only assume 2 possibilities:

1. You’re using a SD card adapter with a micro SD card, and the adapter is poorly connecting (common problem – remove it and reinsert it, also check the “Read-only” switch on the adapter)

2. Your SD card is faulty. In that case I honestly do not know what can be done to fix that. I personally would try another way or PC to access the SD card.

If neither of these work;
      Since it’s most likely having the ext-filesystem on it, you could get a USB bootable (or virtual machine) Linux distro (or GPartEd – use the Live CD/USB stick) and see if you can retrieve something with that. You might have to look into tools that recover or check filesystems.

• Mar 20, 2017 - 3:07 PM - Sean Comment Link

Hi, thanks very much for making this tool!

I am restoring from an .img.gz file that I created as a backup, and the in-progress ETA calculation reports quite a large negative number of seconds. It started positive (and much smaller than I expected) and has now gone negative after some time has passed. My guess? It’s calculating the ETA based on the gzipped file size rather than the actual .img size. Obviously not a blocker as long as the current restore actually completes but would be nice to fix.

Sean

• Mar 21, 2017 - 8:59 AM - Sean Comment Link

Brief update: the restore worked just fine. Only bug is in the ETA display as far as I can tell.

Sean

• Mar 21, 2017 - 9:07 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Sean,

thanks for reporting this odd effect. The negative number occurs when the number goes beyond what the variable can hold (for example, integer can go from -32,768 to 32,768, but when the value goes beyond that, it loops back to the beginning, so 32769 would actually become -32767). This was a bug in older versions of APB which I thought I had fixed. What version are you using?

Glad to hear the restore worked anyway

• Mar 21, 2017 - 9:14 AM - Sean Comment Link

I’m using v1.9.4. The gzipped file was around 8 GB (a 32 GB image with quite a bit of empty space in it)… the countdown started at about 3 minutes, but the entire restore ended up taking 15 minutes or so.

Sean

• Mar 21, 2017 - 1:19 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Yeah the calculation is based on uncompressed filesize, divided by the average speed reported by “dd”. This speed changes as is the image is being written, in your case: fast start but then slowing down (suggesting that cache is being used). 15 minutes seems a little longer than usual though – but it all depends on the speed of your Mac, harddisk, SD-card adapter and SD card.

• May 13, 2017 - 3:28 AM - stammi Comment Link

Hi and thank you for this great tool.

Any news? My PiDrive is also listed as “fixed” and not show in ApplePi-Baker (v.1.9.4 on Sierra).

stammi

• May 13, 2017 - 11:18 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Stammi,

I still have to try to find time to make some changes – I’m in the middle of a project finishing up signing my applications (thank you Apple for making it not easy).
      Are you running the beta version or the final 1.9.4 version?

Additionally, I have to figure a way to determine which media is an SD card, which Apple keeps changing.
      Did you post this question before as “Sarel” ?
      If not, and in case you have not send me this info yet; Some Terminal commands, to test. This way I might be able to analyze what’s going on.

diskutil list

0: Macintosh HD +499.1 GB disk1
                                       Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                       D86A929B-563F-494F-812D-8E93D0A89839
                                       Unencrypted

With the lines that are left, now do this:

diskutil info /dev/disk0

(in case you had already done this: my apologies for the delay – it’s rough having a full time job and trying to do what you love besides that and a full house hold – but I’m doing what I can)

• May 13, 2017 - 11:41 AM - stammi Comment Link

Hello Hans,

Thank you for your answer.

FIRST:

No rush! Important is the real life, everything else can wait ;)

Here is my diskutil list output:

Device Identifier: disk2

Device Node: /dev/disk2

Whole: Yes

Part of Whole: disk2

Device / Media Name: My Passport 07BA

Volume Name: Not applicable (no file system)

Mounted: Not applicable (no file system)

File System: None

Content (IOContent): FDisk_partition_scheme

OS Can Be Installed: No

Media Type: Generic

Protocol: USB

SMART Status: Not Supported

Disk Size: 314.0 GB (314038026240 Bytes) (exactly 613355520 512-Byte-Units)

Device Block Size: 512 Bytes

Read-Only Media: No

Read-Only Volume: Not applicable (no file system)

Device Location: External

Removable Media: Fixed

Virtual: No

OS 9 Drivers: No

Low Level Format: Not supported

Thank you for your time, and as I said, no hurry, I also have a real life ;)

I wish a nice evening

stammi

• May 13, 2017 - 11:45 AM - stammi Comment Link

Sorry, i forget to write: 1.9.4 Final

“Sarel” posted on “november 16” how i see, my post is from today “may 17” ;)

stammi

• May 14, 2017 - 2:27 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Thanks Stammi,

Thanks for understanding …

If I’m reading this right, you want to use a USB harddrive?
          A WD Passport – which is considered a fixed drive, not a removable drive.
          In the future I could add the option to show all USB drives … if that’s what you’re looking for.

• May 19, 2017 - 9:09 AM - JAUMENS Comment Link

THANKS

JAUMENS

• May 19, 2017 - 9:27 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Thanks Jaumens for taking the time to post a thank-you – it’s much appreciated!

Your Comment …

Friendly request to not post large files here (like source codes, log files or config files). Please use the Forum for that purpose.

Please share:
Notify me about new comments (email).
       You can also use your RSS reader to track comments.

Tweaking4All uses the free Gravatar service for Avatar display.
Tweaking4All will never share your email address with others.