Page 1 of 1

ConnectMeNow – Version 1.7.9 available …

ConnectMeNow – Version 1.7.9 available …

ConnectMeNow, a small application for Mac OS X to quickly mount network shares, has been updated to version 1.7.9 – yes i’ts an odd version number, but this has to do with a lot of testing by Steffen and others.

Some of the changes include:

Support for separator lines in the menu, buttons to move items up and down in the list, support to save the config file anywhere you’d like (they can even be shared with other computers, for example through DropBox etc.), option to backup/restore your config file, “Execute AutoMount” function, menubar fix for macOS Sierra, fixed bug which would reset the number or shares to zero (= loosing all settings!), standard preferences are now stored per Apple Guidelines, and a minor bug in WOL has been fixed.

For  download of the latest version, please read the original article (Quickly connect Network shares on a Mac with ConnectMeNow), where you can also ask questions or report issues. Or … find the application on our Downloads Page.

Donation options

Donations are very much appreciated, but not required. Donations will be used for web-hosting expenses, project hardware or a motivational boost (a drink or snack). Thank you very much for those have donated already! It's truly AwEsOmE to see that folks like our articles and small applications.

Comments

There are 29 comments. You can read them below.
You can post your own comments by using the form below, or reply to existing comments by using the "Reply" button.

• Aug 5, 2016 - 5:38 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Note:

Under macOS Sierra, the dialogs to connect will not be “quiet”.
    Instead a dialog will suddenly appear. This has been reported more than once with Apple as a bug. Maybe, or maybe not, Apple will look into this.
    I’d like to ask macOS Sierra user to report this bug as well – please use your own wording.

The bug:

In previous version (pre macOS Sierra) running:

osascript -e ‘mount volume “smb://myserver/myshare” as user “username” with password “mypassword”‘

would mount a share from a server.

Since macOS Sierra (beta 10.11.6 beta 15G26a) this no longer works and always shows a login dialog (pre-populated) where the user must click “Connect”.

Run this in terminal (with a valid server, username and password):

Expected Results:

If the server and share are available, and username and password are correct, then this volume should be mounted quietly.

Actual Results:

A login dialog will appear (pre-populated) where the user must click “Connect”.

• Aug 18, 2016 - 7:48 AM - freeman35 Comment Link

Hello,

How to add “ssffs” connection(s). this app use osxfuse, and opensource and free use. https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/SSHFS

maybe you don’t like use 3rd party app. but this my sugession can be optinal.

this is my command for connect: (remote is win 10 and openssh installed)

mkdir /Volumes/MyRemote_C
    sshfs -p 22 -C remoteUsername@remote_ipadsress:/cygdrive/c/ /Volumes/MyRemote_C -o auto_cache,reconnect,defer_permissions,noappledouble,negative_vncache,allow_other -o volname=MyRemote_C

for unmount  “umount /Volumes/MyRemote_C”

in version 1.7.9  I did not like see allways “/Volumes/ConnectMeNow/” in mounted list.

Can add “volume name” for mounted connection, so remove via umount.

Regards

freeman35

• Aug 18, 2016 - 8:43 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Freeman35,

I can consider adding it, but the mechanism I’m using is not the usual “mkdir – mount – unmount – rmdir” method.
      AppleScript automatically generates volume names in “/Volumes”. When you see “/Volumes/ConnectMeNow/”, could it be that the DMG is still mounted?

As for supporting 3rd party apps; I’m not against using 3rd party apps, I’d just add a warning that it requires this.
      But since the mechanism is different, I’d rather wait and see what is going on with macOS Sierra, which potentially makes AppleScript not so great to use.

• Aug 19, 2016 - 3:11 AM - freeman35 Comment Link

Hello Hans,

Yes, I was forget unmount dmg, Its my fault. I saw it after close all opened windows, but I can not edit posted message in your web site, so I can not delete that lines. Sorry about it.

I wrote my bash script in my first message. I’m not use smb or other connection type, so no idea for thats. (ssh not support mount connection) but in sshfs support get volume names.  If can you add this options, its be very good. For me, much easy been then use bash scripts

freeman35

• Aug 19, 2016 - 3:29 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

No problem, we all goof up sometimes, and my apologies that there is no edit option for comments.

I’ll wait and see what macOS Sierra will do with the AppleScript issue.
          When mounting quiet, it will still show a username/password dialog, which is what I’d like to avoid.
          If they keep it the way it is in the beta’s, then I’ll have to look for another method to mount shares. Maybe I’ll start developing v2 and implement a few other wishes as well (like automount when a certain network becomes available).

But that would mean a complete rebuild of how I do things.
          We will see … I do however, will add your request. Maybe even think of a way to make it that users can create or add their own share types.

• Aug 19, 2016 - 3:38 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Since you use SSFHS;
          Does this need anything else on the server side (besides an SSH connection)?
          How does it perform when comparing it to SMB and such?

• Aug 20, 2016 - 4:02 AM - freeman35 Comment Link

on ssh server, last week rebuild my desktop, it has w10 x64. I download openshh and installed by default setting. not change any settings. and directly connect to server from mac(client) I can not compare with smb, ‘cos not tested smb on this lan. but I think not much different. I was used smb on other LAN. On my lan is wi-fi and we use this lan for adsl connection. but performans is normal, I mean it work like a smb on same speed. maybe much faster on first connection, ‘cos windows not control all, ssh connection is faster. mounting maybe get a few time, maybe 1-2 seconds. this about LAN speed and folder and file count ofcourse.

freeman35

• Aug 20, 2016 - 4:16 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Cool! Sounds lie something I might try on my own system one of these day!

• Feb 11, 2017 - 2:22 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Freeman35,

I’m trying to implement sshfs, without having it installed myself.
      I was hoping you could provide some more info.

– What does the output of “mount” (from Terminal) look like when an SSHFS volume has been mounted?
      – Can one pass a password in the mount parameters as well? (something like username:password@server)

Are there any other requirements? From what I read online, sshfs can be found in /usr/local/bin/ when installed.

• Feb 12, 2017 - 12:06 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

Hello Hans,

After a few dyas later, I needed end to desktop on lan. Now I’m use wirtual machine on my macbook. I useto this usege. so easy and fast. You know human love to be lazy :D I forget to use commanf line. But if can I help to you, I’ll be happy.

If mounted to SSHFS volume(s) you can use like a mounted drive. in terminal or finder or what else. (I’m use Double commander for GUI MC for terminal. I useto NC on DOS time [dinazor times :)])

If I’m not remember wrong, you can not write password via password. But, you can use ssh private key.

https://github.com/dstuecken/sshfs-gui  I was tested this gui tool aswell, but can not conneted via password.

You can connectme :) via email

FreeMan35

• Feb 17, 2017 - 7:36 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

hello Hans,

I found this link, maybe can helpfull for your project.

FreeMan35

• Feb 17, 2017 - 8:17 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Thanks Freeman35!

Definitely great info – I’ll have to go through the details to see how much would be applicable for ConnectMeNow.
      One of the things I’m looking for is read/write (S)FTP access, which currently is not supported by MacOS (right now it’s only read-only).
      So if anyone has a tip for that ….

Did you have a chance to try the beta version 2?

• Feb 18, 2017 - 2:22 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

Sorry, I’m work on my project, I have no time yet. :( but In my mind ;) if I try, let you know if I see problem or have idea.

FreeMan35

• Feb 18, 2017 - 10:54 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

No worries! I’m already happy that someone is willing to do some testing.
        Also, I have a daytime job as well, so I do not always get to my website as often as I’d like either … so I fully understand.

• May 21, 2017 - 12:31 AM - anthonyjclarke Comment Link

Hows it going here… any status on the new version? :)

anthonyjclarke

• May 22, 2017 - 9:22 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Anthony,

I have a new version available, it’s a test version and … it is signed!
      I had to signup for a paid Apple Developers account to be able to sign the application.
      I can post the test version here – hopefully when I get home tonight.

• May 23, 2017 - 6:36 PM - anthonyjclarke Comment Link

Great, thanks!

anthonyjclarke

• May 24, 2017 - 8:31 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

I’m running into some roadblocks trying to sign the application.
        I hope to post a test version really soon. Wish Apple would have made the signing process a little easier. (I’m also trying to write an application that does the signing for me, so I don’t have to putz around with a whole bunch of command-line statements.)

• May 29, 2017 - 9:26 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

I think I have managed to sign things correctly …
      I actually created a tool to do the signing of the application, create a DMG, and the sign the DMG.

Feel free to download this test version, and let me know how things work (and what you see when you open the DMG after opening and/or start the application).
      You can download it here: ConnectMeNow v2.0.0.beta.dmg

Anyone who wants to test; please do so and please give me feedback. (I have been using it successfully myself for the past few weeks)

• Jan 6, 2018 - 1:09 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

Hello,

Still continue to develope to ConnectMeNow project ?

FreeMan35

• Jan 5, 2018 - 3:45 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

Hello Hans,

Been long time, I hope everythinks is well for you.

Will you continue support to ConnectMeNow?  If yes, I get a more feed back :)

FreeMan35

• Jan 7, 2018 - 4:02 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi FreeMan35!

Good to see you back!

Yes I’m still developing ConnectMeNow (I assume you tried the v2 beta)!
      I’m bumping in some issue, besides time in my day. For example WebDAV seems to act weird under High Sierra, we’d like a 64 bit application, the menubar icon seems to have a memory leak (not developed by me) and we’d like the application to be signed …

So … having said that: please provide feedback, it’s more than welcome!

• Jan 8, 2018 - 3:10 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

Yes, I used V2.0.

Stiil I wanna use sshfs.

1-ConnectMeNow not work with it. No error or no any info. Where can I fallow what commandline worked, and it’s result it what?

2-) If Checked in advenced setting “Mount in /Volumes…..” connectmenow deadlock. on high sierra

3-) I wanna add some parameter in commandline, this can be in new tab on settings via checkboxes. and show builded commandline. This is be in memo, so user can modified or copy it to clipboard. or add extra Edit box, so user can add manual parameter too. ‘cos somany parameter, or on future sshfs can change parameter list.

Connectmenow wrote in pascal or wich language?

Regards

FreeMan35

• Jan 8, 2018 - 3:27 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Freeman35!

Ah it’s you again …
      SSHFS would be fun to have, not sure where I left off with that one – it’s been a while.

The deadlock is new to me when checking /Volumes as an option. Are you mounting anything specific (ie. SMB, WEBDAV, etc)?

As for adding parameters; well, I’m open to that, but I’ll have to dig in and see if that’s an option. I’ve created a script like approach for mounting with variables in the script. To be honest, I have to look …

Yes it’s written with Lazarus Pascal. And I hope to make a 64 bit version (Cocoa) and sign it as well.

• Jan 9, 2018 - 12:09 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

“Ah it’s you again … ”  I hope this is good think

I useto  unix, and I don’t wanna change & loose this. But I have to use win for delphi

I’m working on uniGUI (www.unigui.com) so I need to accses to server, and best & easy way (for me) ssh for this. I never came to mind SMB. But server has IIS so there is no shared folder. server is 2008 R2. I install openSSH on it.

If you remember, I was wrote, I hate to lazarus, I removed 3-4 years work, code everythink. Ofcourse my mistake, I trusted to them. If I’m not remember wrong, shell component’s has it and you can sent param for execute string. (I’m not sure)

Thay not still support 64?   Thay have not osx system so no one to tuch it. I was wrote, sent screenshot, this is not work on osx, answered is its work on my linux !!!!!

never mind, Its a just a home work, and hobbt project thats all.

FreeMan35

• Jan 9, 2018 - 2:34 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Freeman35,

It’s a very good thought haha

You’re working on unigui? Oh great! I’ve played with once in the past. Back when I still had access to Delphi (through work).
        I’d love to give Tokyo (10.2.2) a run, with CrossVLC added, but it’s just too expensive for me … who can afford that privately right?

I love Lazarus for it’s flexibility and the ability to run the IDE in Linux, Windows and MacOS. Delphi still doesn’t allow that.
        The few tests I have done involve virtual machines on my Mac .

As for Shell calls; well the thing is that all mount variants that I have implemented all require different formatting.

The way I implemented SSHFS:

Binary:

/usr/local/bin/sshfs

Parameters:

[-p $port] -C [$username@][$server:][$path] [$mountpoint] -o auto_cache,reconnect,defer_permissions,noappledouble,negative_vncache,allow_other

So this would look something like this (123 being a random port I just made up):

/usr/local/bin/sshfs -p 123 -C username@server:\path \Users\yourname\Mountpoints -o auto_cache,reconnect,defer_permissions,noappledouble,negative_vncache,allow_other

Beta 2 has this build in, just looked in the code. So what am I missing?

• Jan 10, 2018 - 1:05 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

Hi Hans,

Are we continue on direct via mail? and and you can share result on your web.

1-) Add a settings, for path and sshfs file name.

2)-sshfs -p $port $username@$server:$PathOnServer $mountpoint -oauto_cache,reconnect,defer_permissions,noappledouble,negative_vncache,volname=NotTested

PathOnServer=/cygdrive/c    // this is haveto parameter, ‘cos when connect to server needto give folder example: /cygdrive/c/blabla/

,volname=NotTested  I didn’t test for what for this parameter.

Via this commandline, I Connect to my openSSH server vi terminal. You haveto connect in terminal, ‘cos can not  add password via parameter. But not sure yet, just %90 after sent rsa or what else (I’m not remember now) you sent client info to server then can connect without password, this mean can connectmenow work without password. Needto test this .

For uniGUI, I’m recommended. If have no any info about JavaScript & web, you can write web application via delphi code I’m finish one project and I’m working on server via IIS & ISAPI, so I need ssh server for this hehe. Farshad working on new version for unigui, this version will working on unix server too, I’m waiting this, ‘cos share for application you have to rent server(cloud server or VSP is enaough or need chech can share your busines server or home server as well) You know cloud server get extra money for mickey license, average 15€ per mount. This mean pay double price to rubbish.

FreeMan35

• Jan 12, 2018 - 10:35 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

I’ll send you an email

Your Comment …

Friendly request to not post large files here (like source codes, log files or config files). Please use the Forum for that purpose.

Please share:
Notify me about new comments (email).
       You can also use your RSS reader to track comments.

Tweaking4All uses the free Gravatar service for Avatar display.
Tweaking4All will never share your email address with others.