Page 1 of 1

ConnectMeNow – Version 1.7.9 available …

ConnectMeNow – Version 1.7.9 available …

ConnectMeNow, a small application for Mac OS X to quickly mount network shares, has been updated to version 1.7.9 – yes i’ts an odd version number, but this has to do with a lot of testing by Steffen and others.

Some of the changes include:

Support for separator lines in the menu, buttons to move items up and down in the list, support to save the config file anywhere you’d like (they can even be shared with other computers, for example through DropBox etc.), option to backup/restore your config file, “Execute AutoMount” function, menubar fix for macOS Sierra, fixed bug which would reset the number or shares to zero (= loosing all settings!), standard preferences are now stored per Apple Guidelines, and a minor bug in WOL has been fixed.

For  download of the latest version, please read the original article (Quickly connect Network shares on a Mac with ConnectMeNow), where you can also ask questions or report issues. Or … find the application on our Downloads Page.

Donation options

Donations are very much appreciated, but not required. Donations will be used for web-hosting expenses, project hardware or a motivational boost (a drink or snack). Thank you very much for those have donated already! It's truly AwEsOmE to see that folks like our articles and small applications.

Comments

There are 15 comments. You can read them below.
You can post your own comments by using the form below, or reply to existing comments by using the "Reply" button.

• Aug 5, 2016 - 5:38 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Note:

Under macOS Sierra, the dialogs to connect will not be “quiet”.
    Instead a dialog will suddenly appear. This has been reported more than once with Apple as a bug. Maybe, or maybe not, Apple will look into this.
    I’d like to ask macOS Sierra user to report this bug as well – please use your own wording.

The bug:

In previous version (pre macOS Sierra) running:

osascript -e ‘mount volume “smb://myserver/myshare” as user “username” with password “mypassword”‘

would mount a share from a server.

Since macOS Sierra (beta 10.11.6 beta 15G26a) this no longer works and always shows a login dialog (pre-populated) where the user must click “Connect”.

Run this in terminal (with a valid server, username and password):

Expected Results:

If the server and share are available, and username and password are correct, then this volume should be mounted quietly.

Actual Results:

A login dialog will appear (pre-populated) where the user must click “Connect”.

hans

• Aug 18, 2016 - 7:48 AM - freeman35 Comment Link

Hello,

How to add “ssffs” connection(s). this app use osxfuse, and opensource and free use. https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/SSHFS

maybe you don’t like use 3rd party app. but this my sugession can be optinal.

this is my command for connect: (remote is win 10 and openssh installed)

mkdir /Volumes/MyRemote_C
    sshfs -p 22 -C remoteUsername@remote_ipadsress:/cygdrive/c/ /Volumes/MyRemote_C -o auto_cache,reconnect,defer_permissions,noappledouble,negative_vncache,allow_other -o volname=MyRemote_C

for unmount  “umount /Volumes/MyRemote_C”

in version 1.7.9  I did not like see allways “/Volumes/ConnectMeNow/” in mounted list.

Can add “volume name” for mounted connection, so remove via umount.

Regards

freeman35

• Aug 18, 2016 - 8:43 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Freeman35,

I can consider adding it, but the mechanism I’m using is not the usual “mkdir – mount – unmount – rmdir” method.
      AppleScript automatically generates volume names in “/Volumes”. When you see “/Volumes/ConnectMeNow/”, could it be that the DMG is still mounted?

As for supporting 3rd party apps; I’m not against using 3rd party apps, I’d just add a warning that it requires this.
      But since the mechanism is different, I’d rather wait and see what is going on with macOS Sierra, which potentially makes AppleScript not so great to use.

hans

• Aug 19, 2016 - 3:11 AM - freeman35 Comment Link

Hello Hans,

Yes, I was forget unmount dmg, Its my fault. I saw it after close all opened windows, but I can not edit posted message in your web site, so I can not delete that lines. Sorry about it.

I wrote my bash script in my first message. I’m not use smb or other connection type, so no idea for thats. (ssh not support mount connection) but in sshfs support get volume names.  If can you add this options, its be very good. For me, much easy been then use bash scripts

freeman35

• Aug 19, 2016 - 3:29 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

No problem, we all goof up sometimes, and my apologies that there is no edit option for comments.

I’ll wait and see what macOS Sierra will do with the AppleScript issue.
          When mounting quiet, it will still show a username/password dialog, which is what I’d like to avoid.
          If they keep it the way it is in the beta’s, then I’ll have to look for another method to mount shares. Maybe I’ll start developing v2 and implement a few other wishes as well (like automount when a certain network becomes available).

But that would mean a complete rebuild of how I do things.
          We will see … I do however, will add your request. Maybe even think of a way to make it that users can create or add their own share types.

hans

• Aug 19, 2016 - 3:38 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Since you use SSFHS;
          Does this need anything else on the server side (besides an SSH connection)?
          How does it perform when comparing it to SMB and such?

hans

• Aug 20, 2016 - 4:02 AM - freeman35 Comment Link

on ssh server, last week rebuild my desktop, it has w10 x64. I download openshh and installed by default setting. not change any settings. and directly connect to server from mac(client) I can not compare with smb, ‘cos not tested smb on this lan. but I think not much different. I was used smb on other LAN. On my lan is wi-fi and we use this lan for adsl connection. but performans is normal, I mean it work like a smb on same speed. maybe much faster on first connection, ‘cos windows not control all, ssh connection is faster. mounting maybe get a few time, maybe 1-2 seconds. this about LAN speed and folder and file count ofcourse.

freeman35

• Aug 20, 2016 - 4:16 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Cool! Sounds lie something I might try on my own system one of these day!

hans

• Feb 11, 2017 - 2:22 PM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Hi Freeman35,

I’m trying to implement sshfs, without having it installed myself.
      I was hoping you could provide some more info.

– What does the output of “mount” (from Terminal) look like when an SSHFS volume has been mounted?
      – Can one pass a password in the mount parameters as well? (something like username:password@server)

Are there any other requirements? From what I read online, sshfs can be found in /usr/local/bin/ when installed.

hans

• Feb 12, 2017 - 12:06 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

Hello Hans,

After a few dyas later, I needed end to desktop on lan. Now I’m use wirtual machine on my macbook. I useto this usege. so easy and fast. You know human love to be lazy :D I forget to use commanf line. But if can I help to you, I’ll be happy.

If mounted to SSHFS volume(s) you can use like a mounted drive. in terminal or finder or what else. (I’m use Double commander for GUI MC for terminal. I useto NC on DOS time [dinazor times :)])

If I’m not remember wrong, you can not write password via password. But, you can use ssh private key.

https://github.com/dstuecken/sshfs-gui  I was tested this gui tool aswell, but can not conneted via password.

You can connectme :) via email

FreeMan35

• Feb 17, 2017 - 7:36 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

hello Hans,

I found this link, maybe can helpfull for your project.

FreeMan35

• Feb 17, 2017 - 8:17 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

Thanks Freeman35!

Definitely great info – I’ll have to go through the details to see how much would be applicable for ConnectMeNow.
      One of the things I’m looking for is read/write (S)FTP access, which currently is not supported by MacOS (right now it’s only read-only).
      So if anyone has a tip for that ….

Did you have a chance to try the beta version 2?

hans

• Feb 18, 2017 - 2:22 AM - FreeMan35 Comment Link

Sorry, I’m work on my project, I have no time yet. :( but In my mind ;) if I try, let you know if I see problem or have idea.

FreeMan35

• Feb 18, 2017 - 10:54 AM - hans - Author: Comment Link

No worries! I’m already happy that someone is willing to do some testing.
        Also, I have a daytime job as well, so I do not always get to my website as often as I’d like either … so I fully understand.

hans

Your Comment …

Friendly request to not post large files here (like source codes, log files or config files). Please use the Forum for that purpose.

Please share:
Notify me about new comments (email).
       You can also use your RSS reader to track comments.

Tweaking4All uses the free Gravatar service for Avatar display.
Tweaking4All will never share your email address with others.