Page 1 of 1
Forum

Welcome to the Tweaking4All community forums!
When participating, please keep the Forum Rules in mind!

Topics for particular software or systems: Start your topic link with the name of the application or system.
For example “MacOS X – Your question“, or “MS Word – Your Tip or Trick“.

Please note that switching to another language when reading a post will not bring you to the same post, in Dutch, as there is no translation for that post!

Just got The Outer ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Just got The Outer Limits (1995) and some episodes will not rename

53 Posts
3 Users
6 Likes
17.2 K Views
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @hans

What VPN are you using?
I have a different purpose for using a VPN, and tried a few that disappointed me. 😜 

I use Browsec in the browser. I find it's more than enough for most places I want to go to that is geoblocked. Testing out Opera and it's built in VPN seems pretty good as well.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Thanks 😊

I did try Opera's VPN as well, and it usually is OK.

What I find lacking with most though is speed ... 😞 

I've tried ExpressVPN for a little bit, but I was not impressed by the performance.
Others (like NordVPN and such) are said to perform similar or worse ... 😞 

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Have an update for you. Just got all of M*A*S*H and had the same issue with some files not being renamed. I unchecked meta data and no issue. At this point it looks like it's a issue with some meta data and a issue with one database. On another note I had to use Thunar's file renamer to fix the name of the show on all the files after using RMTV. Each file was named Myaysyh instead of M*A*S*H.  Am I missing seeing a setting to allow for the special charters? 

Now as for Opera the little bit that I've used it I've been happy with the speed with the VPN on.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Interesting ... it is helpful to know it may be metadata related - I will have to do some experiments with the specific episodes that fail. Would be good to know what episodes failed, what language was being used, video file format (MP4/MKV etc). Just so I can test that specific episode with the conditions you're working with. I hope that made sense 😉 

A for the title ... well, most file-systems consider "*" to be an illegal character, so under Settings -> Renaming Rules -> Replace Special Characters, "*" will be replaced by "x" by default (not sure where the "y" came from). You could of course disable the replacement of the "*" character, but to be honest I'd be nervous about possible consequences. 

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Both M*A*S*H and Lost In Space are .mkv. 

As for file names I would prefer if RMTV used the name EXACTLY as it is on the various databases. If it has a : in it it should be in it by default, it should be the endusers choice to exclude it or not. If the show name is all caps that's how RMTV should be naming the show. Special characters are part of the shows title and should not be excluded. 

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Just did a test with M*A*S*H after clearing the "Replace Special Characters" list, and under macOS the file name became nicely "M*A*S*H - 01x01 - Pilot.mkv" (without adding the metadata). With metadata an MKV file worked correctly as well, however I only tested Season 1 Episode 2 (Pilot), and only under macOS. 

I would expect things top work correctly under Linux as well. Windows on the other hand is notoriously a little finicky with special characters, and especially with illegal characters (like: *, ?, etc).

p.s. for testing I copied a random MKV video file and used the metadata options below

Locutus reacted
ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yea you just reminded me about what I was trying to remember about special characters, and that is Linux really don't care like Windows does. I have two sets of M*A*S*H, one unrenamed that's still in my torrent client and the one I renamed. I'll copy season 1 of the one that's not been renamed and try your settings and see what I get on my end.

EDIT:

OK just tried with special characters cleared with rename metadata and 24 of 24 for season 1 failed. Tried with meta unchecked and 24 of 24 renamed correctly other than the a s and h being in lowercase which I expected.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Locutus

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

YES YES and YES on the titles had to change "Do Not Change" under capitalization and edit the name under auto select hard links. Didn't realize that was edible. Other than the metadata looks good.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

I'm not sure what Windows would do if the original file name has "*" in it 😱 

I do know macOS and Linux are much more forgiving indeed.

I think those special characters may confuse ffMPEG ...? Getting closer to the culprit though.
I've done quite a bit of tinkering with M*A*S*H before, because of those asterisks (especially when searching).

Just to be clear ... you're running Windows right? (apologies if I totally overlooked that)

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No to running Windows. I was running the latest beta of RMTV cause I could get the Linux beta up and running.

Ok Just ran across the meta data issue again With season 1 of Squid Game. I'm beginning to think maybe something in the latest beta rather for Linux or Windows. The Windows copy I installed and had the issue was the latest and I finally got the latest Linux beta working and removed the Windows version. Give me a few minutes and I'll list what the metadata names for these episodes.

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Format is .mp4

Squid.Game.S01E01.DUBBED.WEBRip.x264-ION10

Squid.Game.S01E02.DUBBED.WEBRip.x264-ION10

Squid.Game.S01E03.DUBBED.WEBRip.x264-ION10

Squid.Game.S01E04.DUBBED.WEBRip.x264-ION10

Squid.Game.S01E05.DUBBED.WEBRip.x264-ION10

Squid.Game.S01E06.DUBBED.WEBRip.x264-ION10

Squid.Game.S01E07.DUBBED.WEBRip.x264-ION10

Squid.Game.S01E08.DUBBED.WEBRip.x264-ION10

Squid.Game.S01E09.DUBBED.WEBRip.x264-ION10

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Thanks for digging in some more.
As for the latest beta being the issue ... the meta data has been added since beta 2.1.0 and has not changed since (if I recall correctly - my change log is not mentioning a bug/change with metadata since 2.1.0) - which does not mean you're wrong of course 😉 

Potential problem areas with metadata could:

- Show Title
- Episode Title
- First Aired Date
- TV Network
- Summary

With MASH, the title may be an issue.

When looking at the Squid summary, I see a single quote in it (children's).

With the summary of MASH I see single quotes (hospital's) and double quotes ("Goodbye, Farewell and Amen.").

Both single and double quotes could potentially cause issues, since these are passed through the command line.
I'll have to do some command line testing to see what crashes things - if any - and how bad escaping quotes will be (place a "\" in front of them) in playback software (if they will handle this correctly or not). I'm suspecting this may be related to this - but I could be wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Why would part of the episode name be a problem? They're still special characters so should be being ignored if one has that unchecked in settings. I have noticed the ' gets replace with one that points straight down instead of the slanted one. For the English language that is incorrect, the slanted one is correct. I've ignored it over the time I've noticed it, but it is incorrect.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Good question - the name may not be an issue.

Using filenames and command line parameters do not need to be having the same issue 😉 

As for the single quote use; you may want to fine tune that in the settings (Renaming Rules - Replace Special Characters).
The one straight down single quote is typically the one causing issues in filenames and such, as they are often used as delimiters for example ... 😊 

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Sorry I read that single quote thing wrong.

You're saying that the slanted one gets replaced ... that's interesting, since I do not have code in RMTV that does this (unless you have it in your "replace special characters" list of course).

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: