Page 1 of 1
Forum

Welcome to the Tweaking4All community forums!
When participating, please keep the Forum Rules in mind!

Topics for particular software or systems: Start your topic link with the name of the application or system.
For example “MacOS X – Your question“, or “MS Word – Your Tip or Trick“.

Please note that switching to another language when reading a post will not bring you to the same post, in Dutch, as there is no translation for that post!

Just got The Outer ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Just got The Outer Limits (1995) and some episodes will not rename

53 Posts
3 Users
6 Reactions
17.9 K Views
 mfu
(@mfu)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @hans

Thanks 😊

I did try Opera's VPN as well, and it usually is OK.

What I find lacking with most though is speed ... 😞 

I've tried ExpressVPN for a little bit, but I was not impressed by the performance.
Others (like NordVPN and such) are said to perform similar or worse ... 😞 

Hi Hans (& Locutus),

my 2 cents...

I have used PiA (Private Internet Access) in the past, and experienced daily outages/bottlenecks/slowdowns.

I gave them an overall 4/10 rating.

For the last year, I have been using NordVPN, and while they're not perfect, l give them a solid 8/10 so far.

'Later

Locutus reacted
ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Thanks mfu!

That's good info. 👍 

I noticed the build-in VPN in Opera to actually work, but it's not very fast.
I did have reasonable experiences with ExpressVPN, and I suspect (at a higher price) it will perform on par with NordVPN.

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@mfu I'd use Nord but I will not use command line only for something as important as my VPN. I need to have quick access to the kill switch. Right-clicking a systray icon and selecting kill versus having to launch Konsole, type in a command or two to kill the internet is far faster.

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @hans

Sorry I read that single quote thing wrong.

You're saying that the slanted one gets replaced ... that's interesting, since I do not have code in RMTV that does this (unless you have it in your "replace special characters" list of course).

I wonder if that means the show creator or the particular database is use the wrong one themselves then?

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @locutus

I wonder if that means the show creator or the particular database is use the wrong one themselves then?

Could very well be ... I suspect that the straight down single quote is the most common character to use on computers.
The slanted ones are more used in proper text. Some word processors correct the old school single quote, others don't?
I'll admit that I'm not the best reference point (pun intended) for interpunction 😉 😜 

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So now we have one failing even though metadata is unchecked.

https://wormhole.app/EZvNz#6FSKHzzMehrR7N-D0G5B6w

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hans zynex just updated information on the AUR. Please see his and my post from today.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/renamemytvseries-bin/#comment-827988

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK zynex has both the qt and gtk versions up of the latest version and they seem to be working as they should.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/renamemytvseries-gtk-bin

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/renamemytvseries-qt-bin

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

AUR:

Awesome 😊 
Would it be helpful if the link to the binary becomes generic? Meaning: I define a link and that one will always link to the latest version.
Maybe time to move the beta into production (I am still dreading having to write a ton of instructions on the auto detect and such).

Rename Failure:

Unfortunately, your test file worked fine with and without metadata. I have tested that specific file under macOS, Windows and Linux (Majaro - local file).

Note: With the second Linux attempt (no metadata), I had removed the file from the first attempt from the filesystem, and copied your file there again. However I had forgotten to remove the file from RMTV and had not re-added the original file. This resulted in the same error you had. After correcting that, the test went fine though. Probably not what you had ... just mentioning it 😊 

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK you might want to register on AUR and get input from zynex cause I honestly don't know if that will work. I say this cause I know with Emby Theater there was an issue doing it that way that made it hard for the AUR maintainer to get AUR to except it. I honestly do not know the ins and outs of how any of that works.

At this point since it's really not that many that fail it's no big deal to manually rename the few files. I appreciate you trying to figure it out though.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Thanks Locutus! 😊 

Yeah, things like that, and AUR is really not the only one, makes it hard for a developer ...
Developing the application is one thing, but having to maintain all these variations of distribution is, unfortunately, a pain. 😞 

As for renaming; Let's keep an eye open for these kind of situations. I suspect this may be special character related, so please report any example you can find (no need to upload the file - I just want to investigate the metadata itself to make sure that is not triggering the issue) ....  😊

Anything to make the application better and more solid 😁 

Locutus reacted
ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Good day here's anther failed file.

Creepshow.S03E02.WEBRip.x264-TORRENTGALAXY.mkv

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Just tested this filename, and with metadata still no issue ... 😞 

One thing I did notice is that all episodes have a slash forward in the title.
Never mind haha ... then all the others would have failed as well.

So when looking at season 3, episodes 1 and 2: they have accolades in the description.

Just to make sure, can you set the "replace special characters" (in Settings) to default and try again?
If I blank mine (eg do not replace any characters), the rename action fails as well.

These are the defaults (easiest: press the "Default" button - but with this picture you can at least compare and see which ones you may or may not have):

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ignore special characters should mean ALL special characters. As far as I'm concerned the only thing RMTV should be doing is looking at the name and naming it exactly as it is posted on the databases. I'd bet if I installed Filebot and tried that file there would be no issue. I don't mean to be harsh but seems RMTV is doing things it shouldn't.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

It is perfectly fine to say what you think. 😉 

However ... RMTV was written with Windows, macOS and Linux in mind.
The default "special characters" are mostly derived from what the filesystems mention in their documentation as illegal or reserved characters.
Just to illustrate this for Windows for example: Microsoft Documentation

Additionally, these reserved or illegal characters may be different for different file systems, and for network shares.

In the end, you can clear this entire list, and use the characters that are used in the original show and episode names.
However, this may give unexpected results.

You could of course make an "escape" list, for example replace "\" with "\\", "/" with "\/" etc.
Still not guarantee that everything will work 100% reliable of course.

I'm open to perfecting this list of course.

Note that these special characters may break data being passed to commandline functions as well.

For example:

$ echo "test"
test

versus 

$ echo "test"test"
dquote>

Locutus reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: