Page 1 of 1
Forum

Welcome to the Tweaking4All community forums!
When participating, please keep the Forum Rules in mind!

Topics for particular software or systems: Start your topic link with the name of the application or system.
For example “MacOS X – Your question“, or “MS Word – Your Tip or Trick“.

Please note that switching to another language when reading a post will not bring you to the same post, in Dutch, as there is no translation for that post!

Just got The Outer ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Just got The Outer Limits (1995) and some episodes will not rename

53 Posts
3 Users
6 Likes
17.2 K Views
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Hans just attempted to used RMTV to rename files for The Outer Limits and had at least 3 fail in season 2. Can you take a look at the log and please let me know what you think is going on? Thanks

FAILED:  H:\Last Night's\The.Outer.Limits.(1995).S01-07.10bit.DVDRip.2CH.x265.HEVC\The Outer Limits Season 2\The Outer Limits (1995) - S02E04 - I Hear You Calling - [DVD][480p][x265 10-bit][AAC 2.0].mkv -> H:\Last Night's\The.Outer.Limits.(1995).S01-07.10bit.DVDRip.2CH.x265.HEVC\The Outer Limits Season 2\The Outer Limits (1995) S02E04 I Hear You Calling.mkv (ERROR: ffMPEG failed to create new file)
FAILED:  H:\Last Night's\The.Outer.Limits.(1995).S01-07.10bit.DVDRip.2CH.x265.HEVC\The Outer Limits Season 2\The Outer Limits (1995) - S02E11 - The Refuge - [DVD][480p][x265 10-bit][AAC 2.0].mkv -> H:\Last Night's\The.Outer.Limits.(1995).S01-07.10bit.DVDRip.2CH.x265.HEVC\The Outer Limits Season 2\The Outer Limits (1995) S02E11 The Refuge.mkv (ERROR: ffMPEG failed to create new file)
FAILED:  H:\Last Night's\The.Outer.Limits.(1995).S01-07.10bit.DVDRip.2CH.x265.HEVC\The Outer Limits Season 2\The Outer Limits (1995) - S02E22 - The Sentence.mkv -> H:\Last Night's\The.Outer.Limits.(1995).S01-07.10bit.DVDRip.2CH.x265.HEVC\The Outer Limits Season 2\The Outer Limits (1995) S02E22 The Sentence.mkv (ERROR: ffMPEG failed to create new file)
This topic was modified 3 years ago by Locutus

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Hi AgentX,

Good to see you here again 😊  

So the message basically says that ffMPEG was unable to create the file.
This can be for several reasons (some pretty obvious of course, but I'll mention them anyway in case someone reads this later on);

• The target is readonly (eg H-drive).
  • The user is not allowed to write in  "H:\Last Night's\The.Outer.Limits.(1995).S01-07.10bit.DVDRip.2CH.x265.HEVC\The Outer Limits Season 2\".
  • The H-drive is full or does not have enough space left.
  • Something is wrong with ffMPEG.
  • The filename contains illegal characters (which does not seem to be the case).

I presume you wanted to include meta data. Give it a try without including the meta data.
This way we can already eliminate most of the reasons why this would fail.

If it works correctly without metadata, then we'll have to look at RMTV and/or ffMPEG.

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm sorry it's been so long, my apologies. I hope all's well with you.

I'm guessing it's number 3 or 4 or both, cause I know I have no permission issues. I'm inclined to lean towards number 5.  As for trying it again I I test with the files I already manually fixed or will I need to wait until I run across the issue again?

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

No need to apologize -- I'm not always quick either 😉 

One thing that occurred to me, it's a Windows specific issue I had ran into in the past:
When Windows is "working" with a given file, for example creating thumbnails, or maybe scanning the file for viruses, then the file can be seen as locked at the time you'd like to change them.

I've not really seen this with anti-virus, but I have encountered it in the past when Windows was creating thumbnail files.
I'm not a big Windows user anymore, but at the time I fixed it by disabling the preview option in the Windows Explorer.

Even if this isn't the case, then this may give you an idea if something in the background may be locking the file?

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

In Arch based distros once a preview is create it's not redrawn, so I'm leaning towards illegal characters.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

How do you mean "preview" ? In RMTV? Like the preview of what the new filenames should be?
If so then I better take a look and see why ... of if I can add a work around.

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

By preview I mean the thumbnail. As long as the folder is open for the files being dragged to RMTV the thumbnails won't be redrawn, and as far as I know nothing else on the system should be polling those files even in the background. So in a nutshell their should be anything on the system stopping RMTV from doing it's job, hence why I tend to lean towards the issue being illegal characters. 

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

*Shouldn't not should

No edit button for my last post so had to correct it this way.

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Looks like we were both wrong. I just got the original Lost In Space. The episodes were dual audio Spanish and English, and the episode names were in Spanish. I just removed the Spanish audio in season 1 and dragged the files for renaming to RMTV, searched for Lost In Space, selected TMDB, selected all of season 1, hit rename and all but the 6 were renamed. I decide to try the 6 again and of course it failed, so I tried one more time using the TVDB and the 6 renamed without issue. At this point it looks like something is up with TMDB. I'm assuming it's something on their end since RMTV can only use the information given it.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Interesting ... do you recall which episodes?
This way I could try to rename some test files myself.
Oh and the format string you're using would be helpful with that as well. 😊 

p.s. for a second I was hoping for Season 3 of Lost in Space being available 🤭 

Locutus reacted
ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Unfortunately no I don't recall the specific files. I don't know if you deal with torrents at all, but if you do I'll link the torrents they are in here.  As for the 3rd season of the relaunch of Lost In Space it's suppose to be coming out. I'll see what information I can find on it and link it here for you. Side note that site is a private tracker so you might not be able to register so I've included the .torrent files just in case.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Locutus

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK Lost In Space Info:

https://netflixlife.com/2021/09/01/lost-in-space-season-3-release-date-updates/

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

That's unfortunate (not remembering which episodes).
When this happens again: try to catch the actual episodes, the original filenames, and the name format and replace character settinge in RMTV.
This way I can do some testing here and see why it may fail.

Thanks for the "Lost in Space" link - I'm eager to see the new season. I think they said this will be the last season (3), but I secretly hope it will not 😉 

I'm not doing anything with Torrents - sorry,... I prefer to avoid the movie industry Gestapo 😊  

ReplyQuote
(@locutus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yea I'm on cloudflare dns for both ipv4 and ipv6, and browser is behind a VPN, along with tools for antifingerprinting.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

What VPN are you using?
I have a different purpose for using a VPN, and tried a few that disappointed me. 😜 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: