Page 1 of 1
Forum

Welcome to the Tweaking4All community forums!
When participating, please keep the Forum Rules in mind!

Topics for particular software or systems: Start your topic link with the name of the application or system.
For example “MacOS X – Your question“, or “MS Word – Your Tip or Trick“.

Please note that switching to another language when reading a post will not bring you to the same post, in Dutch, as there is no translation for that post!

Change intensity of...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Change intensity of 2812b effects based on audio input

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@morenomdz)
Topic starter  

Hello there! I had this idea to use the arduino microchip to controle an strip of 2812b rgb leds using those effects we have here, but to have it changing intensity and or colors based on the music playing. Just like a normal music visualizer but to the leds.

I am very new to arduino, any help with the project on where to start, what kind of structure the code would need to read the analog input and change the effect atributes based on it.

Also, would be good to be able to change the effects using a button or serial input, my guess is I would have a list of effects and every time the set pin goes to high it changes to the next effect?

As you see I am very new to this, all the help is apreciated.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Hi Morenomdz,

My apologies for the late response ... 

I have done a few tests, but no full size projects, with Audio with the intend to have LEDs respond to it.
I did manage to get a few things going - I realize these posts are in Dutch but maybe the code and link may be helpful: here and here.

The issue I ran into was how to properly detect and scale audio ... I think a small pre-amp would be needed to do it right. An analog pin can "read" audio but it's very crude, hardly usable and you're need to use a speaker or headset output.

I have to do some more digging ... unfortunately, my daytime job keeps taking away so much of my time. 

ReplyQuote
(@morenomdz)
Topic starter  

Good stuff, I have few pre amps around ill try something later this week. Ty.

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Let me know what you find out 

My first test was headphones straight to analog pin, but the "resolution" was a bit poor - either because the analog conversion is too "rough" or because a calculation is needed to get proper scaling.

Looking a little more at it, I decided to look for a small pre-amp chip, which I found ... but then I had to move to a different content for work, so all that is still packed somewhere  in my stuff hahah ...

Using the headphones output is not a very good approach in my opinion though, it would (depending on your audio source) eliminate actually hearing the audio. So it did some testing with tiny microphones, but that resulted in rather poor results as well.

Using the RCA jacks would be better, and a pre-amp would be helpful in that kind of solution. 

ReplyQuote
Share: