Page 1 of 1
Forum

Welcome to the Tweaking4All community forums!
When participating, please keep the Forum Rules in mind!

Topics for particular software or systems: Start your topic link with the name of the application or system.
For example “MacOS X – Your question“, or “MS Word – Your Tip or Trick“.

Please note that switching to another language when reading a post will not bring you to the same post, in Dutch, as there is no translation for that post!

Connect SCT013 with...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Connect SCT013 with ADS1115/RaspberryPi

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ranjanpal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

A current transformer SCT013 (  https://www.seeedstudio.com/Non-invasive-AC-Current-Sensor-20A-ma-p-2054.html ) has a 3.5 mm jack at the end.

How do I physically connect this jack to an ADC like ADS1115 which has male header pins to receive analog signals?

I have seen some documentation wherein people have cut the cable of SCT013, soldered it to a male header pin; and then connected it to ADS1115 with F-F jumper cables.

However, is there any way out to interface this SCT without cutting the cable?

If you could please let me know how do we go about this, I would be very much thankful.

This topic was modified 3 years ago 4 times by ranjanpal

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Ehm, I'd consider either cutting the cable, or ordering a male connector (3.5mm stereo / Sony male jack - matching the female connector) and wire that to the ADC so you can easily remove or replace the SCT013.
This seem quite trivial, so maybe I did not understand your question?

ReplyQuote
(@ranjanpal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@hans

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I referred to following youtube video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3YSHhS39Bc&t=642s at 7:10 video timer.)

Instead of soldering the wire to male header pins, can I directly connect the red and white wires of the SCT (that has been cut) to  GPIO pins of micro-controller using F-F jumper wires?

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

It seems you may not want to connect the SCT directory to the Arduino.
A quick look makes me think he actually uses some sorts of voltage divider before connecting it to the Arduino.
I would assume he does this for a very good reason 😉 

ReplyQuote
(@ranjanpal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

In the video, the resistance converts the output current to voltage. since sct-013-000 gives current output only.( https://www.mcielectronics.cl/website_MCI/static/documents/Datasheet_SCT013.pdf )

However. SCT-013-020 gives voltage output and no burden resistance is required.

In that case, can we not directly connect bare ends of the cut wire of SCT-013-020 directly to our microcontroller?

I checked out this link which makes use of a female jack ( http://lechacal.com/wiki/index.php/Current_Transformer_Conditioner ) and hence does not cut the wire of SCT.

But mo such Current_Transformer_Conditioner  is available online.

This post was modified 3 years ago by ranjanpal

ReplyQuote

Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Hmm, that is interesting (and well hidden haha).
From what the spec sheet tells us, I think you're right.
0-1V should be just fine for the Analog pin on an Arduino.

Keep in mind though:
I do not have the equipment here to test and you may blow up your Arduino worse case scenario (even though be very unlikely).
Personally: I'd just connect it directly, relying on the specs (0-1V output) and being very aware that any experiments I do with my Arduino could damage it.
I also have to say that with all the silly things I have done with my Arduino, I can only say that they are quite resilient.

ReplyQuote

Like what you see and you'd like to help out? 

The best way to help is of course by assisting others with their questions here in the forum, but you can also help us out in other ways:

- Do your shopping at Amazon, it will not cost you anything extra but may generate a small commission for us,
- send a cup of coffee through PayPal ($5, $10, $20, or custom amount),
- become a Patreon,
- donate BitCoin (BTC), or BitCoinCash (BCH).

Share: