Page 1 of 1
Forum

Welcome to the Tweaking4All community forums!
When participating, please keep the Forum Rules in mind!

Topics for particular software or systems: Start your topic link with the name of the application or system.
For example “MacOS X – Your question“, or “MS Word – Your Tip or Trick“.

Please note that switching to another language when reading a post will not bring you to the same post, in Dutch, as there is no translation for that post!

Nvidia Shield (2017...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Nvidia Shield (2017) not seeing 5 Ghz WiFi

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

While playing with optimizing the WiFi networking for my Nvidia Shield (I would always recommend using Ethernet - however that's not an option where I'm at right now), and noticed something peculiar ... 

Certain devices, do not see all channels of 5Ghz WiFi.
I had noticed this before with the Meta Quest 2 and Meta Quest 3 (Android based), but now I noticed this with my Nvidia Shield (model 2017 - Android TV), an Amazon FireTV Stick 4K Max (also Android based) and my Samsung TV (Tizen).

To remedy this, I first made sure that my WiFi access point used different names for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, by naming them accordingly.
eg. "FBI_VAN_24" and "FBI_VAN_50".

This way I am 100% sure that I see and connect to the desired WiFi network.

Next, I made sure to pick one of these channels (from personal experience and ones I found in this post in the Nvidia forums):

For 5Ghz WiFi:
Channels 36, 40, 44, 48, 108, 149

Additionally I manually removed all "known" 2.4 Ghz WiFi connections from my devices, like my Nvidia Shield, FireTV and TV - just to avoid it connecting to the slow 2.4 Ghz networks.

For the Shield, I additionally had to enable the option for the Shield to look better networks. For the other devices this wasn't needed, but for some reason my Shield initially wouldn't connect to the WiFi.

I hope this is helpful for anyone trying to connect to a more appropriate WiFi network in order to avoid lag, stuttering, etc in KODI, JellyFin, Plex, or whatever you're using 😊 

p.s. similar issues may arise with 2.4 Ghz WiFi, and for those these channels are recommended:

For 2.4Ghz WiFi:
Channels 1-11

ReplyQuote
Share: