Page 1 of 1
Forum

Welcome to the Tweaking4All community forums!
When participating, please keep the Forum Rules in mind!

Topics for particular software or systems: Start your topic link with the name of the application or system.
For example “MacOS X – Your question“, or “MS Word – Your Tip or Trick“.

Please note that switching to another language when reading a post will not bring you to the same post, in Dutch, as there is no translation for that post!

Communication betwe...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Communication between RS485 module and esp8266

(@navidh91)
Topic starter  

Hello
I want to connect an RS485 module to an esp8266 and read the data coming from the RS485 module and display it on a 2 * 16 LCD. What should my connections look like? And what code should I write for the esp8266 module that can read the data and display it on the lcd? 

I also found this site but the connections and code are for Arduino Nano and do not work on ESP8266.

https://www.electroniclinic.com/...

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Noble Member Admin

I have no experience with ESP8266 + RS485, but it looks reasonably straightforward.
I had to Google stuff as well, and did find a few articles that may be helpful to get you started:

In their schematics, they have the RS485 module and a 2 line serial display:

You wouldn't even need the module you're showing, and you can leave out some parts, so you'd get something like this:

Note : a 3.3V and 5V difference may, or may not become a challenge.
I guess that depends on the module. With certain circuits I did notice that feeding 3.3V logic to a circuit that expects 5V logic, at times may simply work without any conversion issues. This is then due to what voltage is defined as a logical 0 or 1. Seems to work for example with certain LED strips.

Here another tutorial for the RS485 - just without a display.

Pins they used:

ESP8266 RS485 Module
Vin VCC
GND GND
RX RO
D2 (GPIO4)   RE & DE
TX DI

Assuming you're using a 2x16 serial display - either with or without I2C. This guide seems a reasonably clear guide for that purpose.
Note: I2C is often faster, easier and uses less wires/pins.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote

Like what you see and you'd like to help out? 

The best way to help is of course by assisting others with their questions here in the forum, but you can also help us out in other ways:

- Do your shopping at Amazon, it will not cost you anything extra but may generate a small commission for us,
- send a cup of coffee through PayPal ($5, $10, $20, or custom amount),
- become a Patreon,
- donate BitCoin (BTC), or BitCoinCash (BCH).

Share: