Page 1 of 1
Forum

Welcome to the Tweaking4All community forums!
When participating, please keep the Forum Rules in mind!

Topics for particular software or systems: Start your topic link with the name of the application or system.
For example “MacOS X – Your question“, or “MS Word – Your Tip or Trick“.

Please note that switching to another language when reading a post will not bring you to the same post, in Dutch, as there is no translation for that post!

Clone Uno NOT respo...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Clone Uno NOT responding but Working if use bootloader optiboot_atmega328-Mini.hex

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 tvr4
(@tvr4)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have an Arduino Uno clone (photo attached) that stopped responding or accepting uploads.
I would get an error in the Arduino IDE "programmer is not responding".

Tried numerous troubleshooting tips, press reset button, unplug board, and so on and it still would not work.

I tried reburning the bootloader using an USBASP using file optiboot_atmega328i.hex, which I was told is the default Uno bootloader,
but the board would still not work.

I then tried the bootloader optiboot_atmega328-Mini.hex and the board started working again.

If I burn the optiboot_atmega328.hex again the board becomes unresponsive again.

Is the optiboot_atmega328-Mini.hex the correct bootloader for this board?

With the mini bootloader, If I try Get Board Info it responds with the following:
VID: 1A86

PID: 7523

ReplyQuote
 tvr4
(@tvr4)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Here is the board LINK

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

I do not have any experience actually reloading the bootloader, but did find this article that may be useful: Sparkfun - Installing an arduino bootloader.
In this article the Arduino ISP ino is used to flash an Arduino with another Arduino.
This sketch appears to come with a menu option to select the correct and official bootloader for your Arduino Uno.

Hope this helps.

p.s. I assume that the Uno close runs the exact same bootloader as an original Uno (which is very likely).

ReplyQuote
 tvr4
(@tvr4)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I thought the same thing.  The board is marketed as a clone of the Uno so it should have the same bootloader as the Uno.
Which may be true for some boards.  But this board would not run if I flashed it with the Uno bootloader.
It would only work if I used the mini bootloader.

Whether this is normal or due to a problem with the board I can't tell

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

Hmm, it could be that the clone is actually not a "Uno" - in the end these boards just have an Atmel microcontroller, and they can name it anything they want I suppose ...
Does it work with the other bootloader? If yes, then I'd leave it that way 😉 

ReplyQuote
 tvr4
(@tvr4)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@hansI agree.  It appears to work properly with the mini bootloader.  I do not have any modules connected to it but the blink sketch works fine.

I have a spare display that I am going to connect to it and see if the Adafruit display test example works.

Either way, I am going to retire this board to experimenting only just in case. 

ReplyQuote
Share: