Page 1 of 1
Forum

Welcome to the Tweaking4All community forums!
When participating, please keep the Forum Rules in mind!

Topics for particular software or systems: Start your topic link with the name of the application or system.
For example “MacOS X – Your question“, or “MS Word – Your Tip or Trick“.

Please note that switching to another language when reading a post will not bring you to the same post, in Dutch, as there is no translation for that post!

Similarities/differ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Similarities/differences/Interfacing between ESP32 and RaspberryPi

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@ranjanpal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I am finding it bit difficult to make some basic understanding wrt ESP32.

I referred a few documentations but I am not able to figure out following things:

1. In RaspberryPi we make use of micro-SD card to install linux based debian OS. Likewise, where do we install OS in ESP32?

2. To interact with RaspberryPi, we make use of VNC/Putty to access the RPi through our laptop. Likewise how do we interact with ESP32.

3. How do I ensure that data recorded by ESP32 gets transefred to RaspberryPi in a csv/txt or any other file format?

If you could please clarify my doubts, I would be very much thankful!

ReplyQuote
 Hans
(@hans)
Famed Member Admin

There is a big conceptual difference between a RPi and Arduino/ESP.

The RPi is in essence a complete computer with CPU, memory, ports etc.
The Arduino on the likes are microcontrollers (MCU), basically a single chip that can run a program with a very specific task.

Microcontrollers do not have a [conventional] Operating System, only one single program stored in Flash (on the MCU chip).
This program is compiled on a PC, and then flashed to the MCU (over USB) - it will be the one and only thing running on the MCU. So no use for an SD card.

To interact with the microcontroller one uses typically buttons and for example LEDs - the MCU does not have a GUI or anything, and no use for a mouse or keyboard either.
If you want to use a display, then it would be a very tiny display (usually only capable of displaying a few characters), since the MCU is not powerful enough to run a full screen.

See the MCU as a chip, or IC, which has a very specific function.

The MCU is also not capable of multitasking like in a PC.

To move data from an MCU to for example a RPi, you can use several methods. 
I think the most common way is by serial communication, but I have never had a need to connect the two.
Maybe this project gives you a better insight.

ReplyQuote
(@ranjanpal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot Hans fro your valuable reply!

Hans reacted
ReplyQuote

Like what you see and you'd like to help out? 

The best way to help is of course by assisting others with their questions here in the forum, but you can also help us out in other ways:

- Do your shopping at Amazon, it will not cost you anything extra but may generate a small commission for us,
- send a cup of coffee through PayPal ($5, $10, $20, or custom amount),
- become a Patreon,
- donate BitCoin (BTC), or BitCoinCash (BCH).

Share: